When choosing the right colors for your display, there are a few factors to consider. The first aspect to keep in mind is the color of the food or merchandise itself – is it a warm color? A cool color? Let this help guide the decision of what color merchandising vessel to choose. The second element to consider is the overall theme of the display. Make sure your theme works to generate the reaction you’re wanting from the consumer. More often than not, having a theme makes choosing your colors a lot easier.
The second element to consider is the overall theme of the display. Make sure your theme works to generate the reaction you’re wanting from the consumer. When deciding upon a theme, be cognizant of the associations that are drawn from certain colors.
- Blue: productive, relaxing, trustworthy, reliable
- Green: pleasing, restful, tranquil, fresh, natural
- Red: passion, excitement, youth, bold
- Yellow: warmth, happiness, optimism, clarity
- Orange: exhilarating, vibrant, friendly, cheerful
- Purple: creative, imaginative, wise, whimsical
- Brown: eco-friendly, healthy, dependable, solid
- Black: powerful, sleek, wealthy, luxurious
- Pink: calming, romantic, feminine, innocent
Once you’ve chosen a final color scheme, decide which items you’d like to highlight within the display. Using pops of color, like a vibrant red bowl on a vintage wood table, will help to draw attention to the merchandise in the bowl.
Take the time to really consider your color options as they may greatly affect how you attract, connect and engage with your consumer.
For more information on color and the other elements of merchandising, download our 2015 Food Merchandising Trendbook here.