Cheese Makes Everything Better!
National Cheese Day is an unofficial holiday that celebrates one of our favorite all-time foods – Cheese! When you think of holidays, the most popular ones often come to mind – like Christmas, Halloween and Thanksgiving. But each year, hundreds of national food holidays, or wacky holidays, are slipping under the radar and not getting used to their fullest potential. Holidays like National Cheese Day, which falls on June 4th, are a great way for food retailers to come up with creative, unique ways to market their brand and increase sales.
How you can use National Cheese Day to your advantage:
- Fun phrases related to the holiday are a good way to attract attention and will stick out in the memory of shoppers. For example – Don’t be bleu – eat some cheese on National Cheese Day to make you feel gouda!
- Now that you have the attention of the masses, you need to persuade them to purchase something. A “try it” size basket under $5, or “snack” size basket lets customers try different cheeses without a big investment.
- Cooking demonstrations are a great way to build excitement around cheese. Pick your favorite cheese-filled dish in honor of this occasion. Be sure to provide recipes and make pairing recommendations.
- Cross-promote by merchandising with wine, crackers, preserves, artisan chocolates, etc. to maximize sales.
Fun cheesy facts you may not know:
- There are more than 900 varieties of cheese classified by taste and texture
- Americans consume approximately 34 pounds of cheese per year
- Cheese is the number one stolen food item on Earth
- The world’s largest cheese was put on display in 1964 at the New York World’s Fair (it weighed 34,000 pounds)
Cut & Wrap Cheese Station
Cheese sales are an attractive area for food retailers because of their high values and good margins. In fact, shopping baskets that contain specialty cheese average $92, which is almost double baskets that do not. For cheese lovers who think one day is not enough to celebrate cheese, adding a cut and wrap cheese station could be a high margin destination that adds value to your store. We have the cut and wrapping solutions you need to preserve the craftsmanship and dedication that goes into making such a monumental product.
National cheese day is just one of many food related holidays you can use to your advantage. So, for the love of all things gooey – gather your cheesiest customers together and celebrate!