Move over meat, there’s a new kind of charcuterie in town!
Seafood charcuterie is an emerging trend thanks to the rising popularity of a “Mediterranean-style” diet pattern. Inspired by the unstoppable cured-meat trend, this pescatarian version of charcuterie offers an opportunity to provide highly prized seafood in a cost-effective way. It’s also a great way to boost sales and draw in customers who are looking for a little value added to their meals. For consumers, it’s a different way to experience seafood – one that connects well with the booming snacking trend.
USDA recommends eating at least two 4 ounce servings of seafood each week – seafood charcuterie is an easy way to help shoppers meet that goal.
7 Tips for Creating the Ultimate Seafood Charcuterie Board
Something magical happens when fresh seafood is paired with cheese and it’s making a huge impression on consumers. Wood slabs artfully topped with seafood bites and other accompaniments make an exceptional centerpiece at cocktail parties and get-togethers. The fun part – you can use so many things. Here are some quick tips to help you get started.
- Start with your favorite tray, board or platter – marble slabs, slate boards and wood slabs are great options.
- Pick items that can be prepped in advance and left out for grazing. For example: pickled or smoked scallops, smoked albacore tuna, dried tuna prosciutto, smoked fish pates, cured sardines, salmon salami and spiced shrimp.
- Seafood pairs exceptionally well with cheese. Add a variety of cheese options such as smoked gruyere, gouda, fresh mozzarella and aged cheddar.
- Get creative with sauce options with contrasting flavors and textures that play well off of each other. For example – grainy mustard, smoked mackerel dip, crème fraiche and store-made hot sauces.
- Mix in a colorful variety of pickles, sun dried tomatoes, olives, sliced baguette, crackers and seaweed chips.
- For a finishing touch, add some fresh herb sprigs like mint or rosemary.
- Most importantly – have fun and get creative!
Seafood Charcuterie To Go
Consumers are looking for fast service and fresh ingredients when it comes to foodservice. Food retailers are answering the call by offering grab-and-go solutions that meet the latest food trends. Impress shoppers with ready-made Seafood Charcuterie boards for last minute entertaining occasions. Grab-and-go “Seacuterie” boards can be made in-house with our disposable wood-look serving boards to give customers everything they need for a party win!
Ultimately, Seafood Charcuterie lends a first-to-market opportunity for exciting and appealing seafood offerings. Hook into this thrilling new chapter in the seafood category with your own “Seacuterie” program.