To understand the future trends of eco-friendly food packaging, look at how dynamic the last decade has been with constantly evolving technology. Hubert was the first broad line distributor to spotlight and create a special section for eco-friendly food merchandising products. In 2008, we embraced the recycling and conservation movement that was reaching a national tipping point. Today, that collection accounts for one-fifth of our total packaging assortment.
The future trends of packaging will be greatly shaped by how millennials shop. According to Packaging Digest, 79 million millennials, or 25 percent of the U.S. population, have surpassed the Baby Boomers to become the largest generation in U.S. history. Since they tend to buy products that reflect their values and provide a personal connection, it is safe to say that eco-friendly packaging will continue to grow and be important. But, affordability will also play a major role as well. Here are some current trends and others we predict for the future of eco-friendly food packaging, as well as some of the products we offer for food service operators.
Trends in Eco-Friendly Food Packaging
- Multi-purpose packaging, such as packaging with a lid that can convert to a utensil for eating the food contained.
- Edible packaging, or the ultimate zero waste. Products are already being test-marketed in the UK, including edible cups made from a wafer-coated in sugar paper and lined with a heat resistant white chocolate. But, the test is to make them affordable too.
- Developing more sustainable materials made from renewable resources like Myco Foam, which is made from mushrooms to replace fabricated foam packaging that is currently used to protect products like wine bottles in shipping.
- Customization and branding, or designs that are innovative and/or colorful. Our Appealable Self-Seal packages are a great example.
- Digitization of packaging might include quick-response (QR) codes right on the label, giving consumers immediate access to a community that is also participating and purchasing the same products.
Did you know Hubert provides sustainable shipping?
The carbon produced in delivery is offset through investment in reforestation and renewable energy projects. To learn more, download our Coporate Responsibility brochure.
At Hubert, you’ll find the most innovative and broad assortment of eco-friendly packaging products available. Choose from over 1,000 SKUs made from a wide range of sustainable/renewable resources, recycled, biodegradable or compostable materials. We list all the eco-friendly packaging certifications earned by our product assortment including; Cedar Grove, The Biodegradable Packaging Institute (BPI), and The American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM).
Clear Choices for the Planet
We recently added a variety of packaging products manufactured from 100 percent (PCR) post-consumer recycled PET plastic made by Placon. Their EcoStar recycling facility processes 1 billion discarded soda bottles, water bottles and food containers, annually. These new shapes and sizes are designed to showcase food without sacrificing sustainability.
Convenient and Compostable
Convenience containers made from Ingeo, a plant-based resin, can be composted. These packages are strong and provide high-gloss clarity for any foods, including salads, yogurt, condiments and much more.
Other Innovative Eco-Friendly Packaging Collections
We evaluate the performance of our inventory every month, and we are constantly culling our assortment to offer the most innovative technology and materials. Here are some innovative products designed to be attractive and withstand hot temperatures, but most importantly, protect natural resources.